2020 Summit Overview
As previously shared with our membership, STC is transitioning the 2020 Summit to a fully virtual event. As we move to this new format, we are adjusting the Summit dates in response to requests from our membership, and in consideration of the various time zones of our attendees and presenters.
The new dates for the Summit 2020 are Sunday, May 17 through Wednesday, 20 May.
- Sunday, 17 May: Pre-Conference Workshops
- Monday, 18 May – Wednesday, 20 May: Education Sessions
Note that the CPTC Pre-Conference workshop schedule will remain as is (14-15 May) and delivered virtually.
The full updated program with session days and times is listed under the SCHEDULE tab.
As we move the STC Summit to a virtual format, we are committed to offering a robust conference experience, including education sessions, keynotes, vendor showcases, and networking opportunities.
Our virtual conference platform will enable live, moderated Q&A with presenters, as well as on-demand sessions that will be available during the event. Virtual networking spaces will facilitate conversation and collaboration. And, attendees will be able to explore the virtual expo hall and schedule time to meet individually with vendor representatives.
While other conferences may be narrowly focused, the STC Summit is broad — its depth and breadth reflect the diversity of our profession, our members, and our attendees. Summit attendees will learn about new techniques and trends, as well as grow their skills and competencies.
The STC Summit includes the following opportunities and more:
- Education sessions in the following areas: Content Design and Delivery; Tools and Technologies; Training Development and Delivery; Project Management, Leadership, and Career Development. See Tracks and Topic Ideas for more information. The program will include presentations, tutorials, and workshops at several experience levels.
- An opening Keynote speaker on Monday afternoon. Education sessions begin Monday morning.
- The Virtual Expo Hall, where numerous vendors demonstrate products, services, and technology in the world of technical communication.
- The Honors Event (Monday evening), where the best and brightest in the industry are honored by the Society.
- Additional evening social events
Attendance at the 2020 Summit provides 8 CEUs toward CPTC currency. CEUs apply only to those who are certified and cannot be counted retroactively.
The Society for Technical Communication is the world’s largest and oldest professional association dedicated to the advancement of the field of technical communication. The Society’s members span the field of the technical communication profession from students and academics to practitioners and managers. Our members represent every industry segment and many countries around the globe.
In a rapidly changing field, STC support the development and dissemination of technical communication knowledge and skill. The Society’s award-winning publications, Intercom and Technical Communication, are widely read by practitioners and academics in the field, and the STC annual conference is one of the most-attended technical communication events of the year. The STC also offers the Certified Professional Technical Communicator program that validates knowledge, competency and currency in the field through professional certification.
The Society, its geographic Chapters, and its Special Interest Groups produce a wide array of educational events throughout the year designed to advance the knowledge of members and promote technical communication education, managerial techniques and tool skills. Career advancement is also supported by the STC through an annual salary survey, job board, mentoring and networking.