2019 Preconference Workshop Speakers
- Andrea AmesCEO/Founder, Content Experience Strategist, Idyll Point Group
Recognized in 2018 by Relevance as one of their Top 25 Marketing Thought Leaders, in 2017 by [A] as one of the Top 25 Masters of Multichannel, and in 2016 by MindTouch as one of the Top 25 Content Strategy Influencers, Andrea is a sought-after keynote speaker, consultant, and workshop leader, as well as the author of numerous journal and magazine articles and two award-winning books. A 35-year veteran in the content industry, a customer retention and content experience strategy consultant and coach, and the founder and CEO of Idyll Point Group, Andrea provides content organization effectiveness and design consulting for enterprise teams, content leadership development coaching for individuals, and customer-retention education and coaching programs for entrepreneurs with information products, such as online courses, membership groups, and live workshops.
Andrea is the host of the After the Sale podcast and the Executive Editor of STC's Intercom magazine, as well as a Certified Online Training Professional and the curriculum designer and Program Chair for the UCSC in Silicon Valley certificate program in technical writing and communication, where she also teaches content design and architecture, human factors, and usability courses. She is also a Fellow and past President of STC, a Distinguished Engineer of the ACM (the first content professional to achieve this distinction), a Senior Member of the IEEE, and a member of numerous other professional associations.
When she's not a guest on entrepreneurial and content podcasts; advising content leaders in large, high-tech enterprises; teaching technical communicators; or coaching entrepreneurs, Andrea teaches quilt making and design, kayaks, and walks her dogs 2+ miles every day -- typically while binging on podcasts and audio books.
- Becky ToddSenior Content Designer, Atlassian
Becky is a senior content designer at Atlassian, working on the Developer Standards team. She is passionate about creating great user experiences through content. She specializes in developer documentation, content management using source control, and content strategy.
- Dawn StevensPresident, Comtech Services
Dawn Stevens is the President of Comtech Services and the Center for Information Development Management (CIDM), headquartered in Denver, Colorado. With almost 30 years of experience, including 18 years at Comtech, Dawn has practical experience in virtually every role within a documentation and training department, including project management, instructional design, writing, editing, and multimedia programming. With both engineering and technical communication degrees, Dawn combines a solid technical foundation with strong writing and design skills to identify and remove the challenges her clients face in producing usable, technical information and training.
- John CollinsSenior Content Designer, Atlassian
John is a senior content designer on the Content Design team at Atlassian, where he’s the design lead for the Atlassian documentation site. He was the primary content designer for the Atlassian Community site that launched in 2017, and he has extensive experience with content strategy, technical writing, and localization. He’s still learning and exploring content, design, and how we do what we do.
- Linda OestreichRetired
Linda is an STC Fellow and the 2007-2008 President of STC, where she served as board member at the international level of STC for more than 10 years. Linda recently retired from her position as the Project Manager for Talent and Leadership Development at Headquarters, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR). She currently does contract work in various areas of technical communication including teaching and presenting workshops in basic editing, creativity, information design, and leadership. Linda has had a lifelong passion to help other communicators and leaders. Her instructional skills are well-received and appreciated by her students. She has a lifetime teaching credential from the California Community College System and is currently teaching communication courses at the University of California-San Diego (UCSD) Extension.
- Michelle GardnerSenior Information Developer, Micro Focus
As a Sr. Information Developer at Micro Focus, she combines this varied experience to develop a targeted content strategy that aligns with the product's user profiles. She lends her UX expertise to two product teams through activities such as developing personas, journey mapping, creating wireframes, and developing targeted content. She loves to mentor colleagues so they too can employ these UX practices.
When she was a marketing and product manager, Michelle often spoke to customers and the sales force, in large groups and individually to solicit feedback for new products. She developed training content and trained customers and company personnel.
Michelle is a Certified Usability Analyst. She is also a founding member of the Houston chapter for the User Experience Professionals Association.
- Mike ParkinsonPresident/Founder, Billion Dollar Graphics
Mike Parkinson (CPP APMP Fellow) is 1 of 36 Microsoft PowerPoint MVPs in the world. He is an internationally recognized visual communication expert, trainer and award-winning author. Mike regularly works with and trains at large companies (e.g., Microsoft, Dell, Lockheed Martin, Subaru, FedEx) and at international conferences (e.g., STC, ATD, APMP, Training Magazine). Mike is a partner at 24 Hour Company (24hrco.com), a premier creative services firm. His Billion Dollar Graphics book and Graphic Cheat Sheet (BillionDollarGraphics.com) help organizations and agencies achieve their goals using clear, compelling graphics
- Patti Shank, PhDInstructional Designer, Learning Peaks LLC
Patti Shank, PhD is an internationally-known workplace learning expert, instructional designer, researcher, and author who is regularly listed as one of the most influential people in e-learning internationally.
Clients have included government, NGOs, corporations, nonprofits, higher education, experts, and educational organizations, including the United States Government, Adobe, Oracle, The Denver Hospice, Morgan Stanley, Hunter Douglas, Kaiser Permanente, HOMER Energy, The University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and California State University.
Patti speaks regularly at training and learning technology conferences and is the author of Write and Organize for Deeper Learning, Practice and Feedback for Deeper Learning, and Manage Memory for Deeper Learning. These books offer practical tactics for improving outcomes based on training and other research.
She was the research director for the eLearning Guild and an award-winning contributing editor for Online Learning Magazine. Her current articles are found in the ATD Science of Learning and Senior Leaders Blogs, ATD Science of Learning and Senior Leaders Blogs, eLearning Industry, and elsewhere. Patti completed her Ph.D. at the University of Colorado, Denver. Her research on new online learners won an EDMEDIA best research paper award. She is passionate and outspoken about the results needed from instructional design and instruction and engaged in improving instructional design practices and instructional outcomes. Website: pattishank.com.
- Saul CarlinerProfessor of Education and Director at Concordia University
Saul Carliner is a Professor of Education and Director of the Graduate Programs in Educational Technology and University Teaching at Concordia University of Montreal, as well as Research Director for Lakewood Media. He is the author of over 200 publications, recipient of the Kenneth Rainey Award for Excellence in Research and Jay Gould Award for Excellence in Teaching. He is a Fellow of the Institute for Performance and Learning and a Fellow and past international president of the STC.
- Tom JohnsonSenior Technical Writer, Amazon
Tom Johnson is a senior technical writer at Amazon in Sunnyvale, California. He is best known for his blog http://idratherbewriting.com, where he posts regularly on tech comm topics and has one of the largest followings of technical communicators online. Additionally, he has created an extensive web API documentation course (http:/idratherbewriting.com/learnapidoc) that has helped hundreds of technical writers transition into API documentation. Lately he has been working on a series of essays around simplifying complexity (http://idratherbewriting.com/simplifying-complexity) -- a topic he believes is core to increasing value in our discipline. He has given more than 90 presentations over the past decade at various tech comm events. Always open to trying new things, Tom enjoys exploring and discussing ways to innovate in the tech comm space.
2019 Presentation Session Speakers
- Aaron MurrayDirector of Training Services & Product Management, Ken Cook Co.
- Alisa BonsignoreClarifying Complex Ideas
- Allie Proff, CPTCTechnical Writer, Technically Eclectic
- Andre’ EvansTechnical Staff Member, Lockheed Martin Group
- Ann Marie QueeneyConsultant, A.M. Queeney, LLC
- Art BergerTechnical Writer, IBM Cloud
- Ben Woelk, CISSP, CPTCVice President, Society for Technical Communication, and Program Manager, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Brian FishLead Documentation Architect, Cerner Corporation
- Carlos EviaAssociate Professor, Virginia Tech
- Carrie SheafferTechnical Writer, Nextworld
- Christine ChristensenDocumentation Manager, Cityworks
- Chuck CampbellManager of Instructional Technology Solutions, New York Power Authority
- Clinton Lanier, PhDCollege Assistant Professor, New Mexico State University
- Daniel Foster
- Danielle Matthews, PMPTechnical Writer, Document Storage Systems, Inc.
- Dave NealonTechnical Writer, Jenzabar, Inc.
- David PayneManager of User Assistance Team, SumTotal Systems
- Eeshita GroverSenior Manager in Technical Communications, Cisco
- Elisabeth Kramer-Simpson, PhDAssociate Professor of Technical Communication, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
- Elizabeth FraleyEntrepreneur, Single-Sourcing Solutions
- Erin Wiedemer, PMPTechnical Writer, Document Storage Systems, Inc.
- Eva MirandaTechnical Writer, Nextworld
- Guiseppe GettoAssistant Professor of Technical and Professional Communication, East Carolina University
- Jamie Gillenwater, CPTCManager, Transcend Text, LLC
- Jamye SaganPharmacy Communication Advisor, H-E-B
- Janet HuTechnical Writer, SAP
- Jennifer Shumate
- Jeremy SobeckTechnical Writer Manager for Risk Advisory Services Division, RSM US LLP
- Jessica BehlesCybersecurity Documentation Manager, Discover Financial Services
- Jessica WalkerInformation Developer, SAP
- JoAnn Hackos, PhDPresident Emeritus, Comtech Services
- John BowieDirector of Experience Design, Edmentum
- John GarisonMedidata Solutions
- Julie DwyerLead Technical Writer, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Karen TkaczykFrench-to-English Freelance Translator, McMillan Translation LLC
- Kelly SchrankTechnical Writer, Bookworm Editing Services
- Kerwin KilianSupervisor of Service Information Operations, John Deere
- Kevin SiegelPresident and Founder, IconLogic, Inc.
- Kim SchwarzkopfStrategic Project Leader, John Deere
- Kirk St.AmantProfessor and Eunice C. Williamson Endowed Chair, Louisiana Tech University
- Megan JensenLead Documentation Architect, Cerner Corporation
- Megan TorranceCEO and Founder, TorranceLearning
- Melissa SchuckDoD Communications SME and Undergraduate Instructor in Technical Writing, College of Central Florida, Southern New Hampshire University, St. Petersburg College
- Michael HallTechnical Communication Manager, Yaskawa America, Inc.
- Nate WolfLead Technical Writer, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Pam Estes Brewer, PhDProfessor, Mercer University
- Patty ViajarInstructional Designer, Integrated Experience Designer, Digital Adoption Leader, and Performance Consultant, Edmentum
- Robert PerryTechnical Communicator and Trainer, Salesforce
- Roberta (Bobbi) WernerLead Technical Writer, Welch Allyn, A Hill-Rom Company
- Sandra WheelerSenior Technical Writer and Instructional Designer, Medtronic
- Sarah BosakIntegrated Experience Designer, Edmentum
- Sarah MaddoxTechnical Writer
- Scott PrenticeChief Leximator, Leximation, Inc.
- Shavindri DissanayakeAssociate Lead Technical Writer, WSO2
- Tharon Howard, PhDDirector, Clemson University
- Vanessa WilburnProduct Manager for Client Self-Service, IBM Cloud
- Victoria Koster-LenhardtCNMS Contractor, U.S. Department of State
- Yvonne GandoSenior UX Writer, Google