The STC Summit is a friendly and welcoming conference for all attendees. Attendees are expected to follow a code of conduct. Please download the STC Summit Code of Conduct here.
STC is committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or religion. This code of conduct outlines our expectations for participant behavior as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We invite all sponsors, volunteers, speakers, attendees, exhibitors, and other participants to help us realize a safe and positive conference experience for everyone.
All determinations of appropriate or inappropriate behavior are in STC’s sole discretion and the decision of STC’s representatives onsite will be final.
2. Expected Behavior
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all Summit attendees, including:
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert STC staff if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
3. Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable at the Summit and related events. Many Summit functions are held at venues shared with the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact or unwelcome sexual attention, including sexualized comments or jokes, inappropriate touching, groping, or unwelcome sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of conference events, including talks and presentations.
- Failing to follow or obey any laws or rules of the venue.
4. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated whether by other attendees, speakers, volunteers, organizers, venue staff, sponsors, or exhibitors. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, STC staff may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the conference without warning or refund.
5. Reporting Guidelines
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify an STC staff member, or a member of STC’s board of directors, as soon as possible.
We expect all Summit participants (attendees and speakers, paid or otherwise; sponsors and exhibitors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all STC Summit venues—online and in-person—as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to Summit business.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of conference activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.