Presentation (45 minutes)
Practical, solution-focused sessions that are both educational and engaging. A presentation can be a case study, research report, or informational session about a primary topic of interest. The session may include a successful design approach, management effort, or technology implementation. Presentations should be targeted for one of the audience experience levels.
Accepted presentations are required to submit a corresponding paper for the Summit Proceedings.
Tutorial (45 minutes)
Tutorials are for people seeking step-by-step instruction on how to perform a specific task or set of tasks. Tutorials are often used when teaching a process, workflow, or tool so that learners can hear an explanation of what is occurring while watching a demonstration of the steps taken to accomplish each task. Tutorials should be targeted for one of the audience experience levels.
Preconference Workshop (Half Day)
Preconference workshops are for people seeking a more in-depth learning experience on a specific topic prior to the Summit education sessions.
Technology talks should cover:
- In what context is it appropriate
- How participants can use it
- Real world examples
All Tool presentations must include:
- How the tool applies to technical communication.
- Realistic examples of how technical communicators might apply the tool or technology.
- Please, no hype or marketing presentations. We encourage vendors who wish to deliver marketing-oriented presentations to contact Maura Paoletti about a Summit sponsorship package.
Audience Experience Levels
STC Summit attendees span a range of experience levels. Sessions will be tailored to one of the following levels:
- Foundation: The content is introductory (for example, “101 level”) and suitable for all skill or knowledge levels. Beginner to three years of experience.
- Practitioner: Attendees are proficient with the topic, but will learn new and challenging material. 3 to 7+ years of experience.
- Expert: The material is suitable for attendees who have advanced knowledge or job responsibilities (such supervisor or manager). 10+ years of experience.