The Society for Technical Communication is soliciting proposals from interested individuals to take on the volunteer role of Conference Chair (or Co-Chairs) leading the Conference Committee for the 2020 Technical Communication Summit & Expo, which will be held in Bellevue, Washington (Seattle’s Eastside), 15-18 May 2020.
The Conference Chair should be an accomplished technical communication professional with experience or significant interest in managing educational content for an international conference. The duties of the Conference Chair role are as follows:
- Recruits members of the Conference Committee and adheres to the Conference Committee Charter.
- Sends the names of the Program Manager(s) and Track Managers to the STC President for approval.
- Selects a conference theme and conference tracks.
- Authors a Call for Proposals for sessions and preconference workshops and works with STC staff to publish the CFP on the Summit website (no later than August 2019).
- Coordinates the education program selection and planning process between the committee members and the STC
- Contributes to the keynote and honorary fellow selection, working with staff to identify appropriate speaker topics and candidates within budget.
- Identifies potential invited speakers and special
- Identifies potential workshops and pre-conference certificate
- Attends the Summit and assists staff with the education booth management onsite.
- Coordinates student volunteer liaison and onsite management with staff.
- Contributes to marketing and publicizing the Summit through appropriate social media channels.
Proposals should be sent to Liz Pohland, STC CEO (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Ben Woelk, STC Incoming President (email@example.com) by June 1, 2019.
Proposals must include the following information:
- A description of your vision for the educational component of the Summit, including high-level ideas for education tracks, special sessions, or workshops. From your experiences attending the Summit, are there educational areas you feel need more (or less) focus? What would you want to accomplish if you were selected as Summit Conference Chair?
- A CV and a list of your previous experience working on the Summit and/or other educational events/conference(s).
Following discussion and consideration with the STC Board of Directors, the announcement of the Conference Chair (or Co-Chairs) will be made by mid-June 2019.
The Conference Chair/Co-Chairs may be compensated by registration, hotel accommodations, and/or a travel stipend, but this compensation may not cover all expenses of attendance.